Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Grandma's pickles

He now only has 1 living grandparent; his mom's mom died yesterday in her sleep. At 92, she certainly had a good life & went peacefully but it doesn't make it any easier. He had hoped to see her one last time & I was hoping to meet her too.

Vid talked about how she was the last person he saw before he got on the plane to come to the US for grad school 8 years ago. She was so worried about him starving over here she made him a ton of mango pickles (in glass jars) to take with him on his journey. Unfortunately, they broke in transit & ruined most of his clothing; poor thing!

Looking @ the calendar, I see it's been a little over a year since my mom's mom passed. I also associate my grandma with pickles. We spent many fall weekends canning veggies; we were all so sad when we opened the last jar of her pickles after the funeral. I am growing dill along with cucumbers this year in my garden but already know I won't be able to exactly replicate her recipe. Unfortunately mangoes don't grow in New England or I would try to make mango pickles for my hubby; I'm sure he'd appreciate it.





No comments: