Friday, September 18, 2009

India, here we come!

I booked our tickets tonight. We'll be there for about 3 weeks @ the end of November/beginning of December. We're flying out of JFK as it's so much cheaper than Boston; my parents have graciously agreed to drive us the 3 hours to & fro the airport. My mom is pretty much a pro @ this from my grad school days when I was galavanting around Africa. Mercifully we only have 1 short layover each way (about 2 hours) in Abu Dhabi before continuing on to Chennai.

My husband hasn't been home in 8 years; he's going to be in for quite a shock, I'm sure. He watches bad Tamil movies & always comments on how different his hometown (a city of 6 million, really) looks from when he left to come to the US for grad school. In case you have no idea what Tamil movies are like, think Bollywood, with the random song & dance, along with bad acting over a 4 hour time span. I love my husband dearly, but I can't watch Indian movies without laughing hysterically @ the ridiculousness of them.

I just wish the reason for this trip was joyous. Stupidly, the only thing I can think about is my mother-in-law's hair: gorgeous, thick, long, wavy black hair. I really hope she doesn't lose it from the chemo or radiation; I will probably burst into tears if she's bald. It's such a part of her personality: bouncy, bubbly. Please, God, let her keep her hair.

No comments: