Sunday, August 15, 2010

Infertiles of the world, unite!

Vid & I spent a gorgeous afternoon @ a state park this afternoon as today is India's independence day & the local Indian community organization was hosting a party. As with all Indian get togethers, there was tons of food, drink, music & people. And of the hundreds of people there, who do I see? My RE.

We got to talking & I asked her what was new since it's been about 6 months since my last failed IUI. She's leaving her current practice (part of a larger corporation based in Boston) next month & moving literally a mile down the road. She & a couple of other REs from the area are starting a new practice & she's hoping to take much of her current staff with her. I really hope she takes the ultrasound tech who is one of my favorite people on earth. No really. As she's shoving the transvaginal ultrasound wand in she says things like "Oh! Look @ that happy little follicle growing nice & big on the left!" Ha!

We also talked about what I think my next moves might be after my surgery later this month. I told her I was still debating whether or not I wanted to do IVF & if we did it it'd probably be @ the end of next year/beginning of next year so we could prepare financially & emotionally. She said she understood what a big decision it was as she had been there herself.

Huh?

Yup, my RE is herself an infertile. I had no idea. I knew she was married with 2 kids. She didn't go into the details, but she told me she went through IVF for both of her kids & even introduced me to her daughter.

Infertility truly is everywhere, but it seems almost nobody talks about it openly. I've had so many people I know in real life e-mail me, call me or stop me @ the grocery store to talk in a whisper about their ovaries, their hubby's sperm count, etc. Off the top of my head, I can think of 4 women I graduated from high school with who have messaged me on Facebook about their struggles after seeing my posting about ours. Maybe I'm a bit too open about things @ times, but I'm ok with that if it helps educate others about infertility.

No comments: