Sunday, January 16, 2011

Clowns? Really? Huh.



I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of clowns. It's not that I have a fear of them, although I know many people who do. I just don't find them funny. Even when I was a kid & my parents would take us to the circus they were my least favorite act. Come to think of it, most people I know don't particuarly enjoy clowns, which is why I give this study on IVF success & medical clowning (yes, I know) a serious side eye:

"In a study of 219 women undergoing IVF, Israeli researchers found the odds of success were greater among women who were entertained by a professional 'medical clown' right after they had the embryos implanted in the womb.

Overall, 36 percent became pregnant, versus 20 percent of women who'd had a comedy-free recovery after embryo implantation."


I'd love to know what kind of a routine a "medical clown" does that almost doubles the success rate. I rather enjoy Monty Python myself, or perhaps Eddie Izzard, but not balloon animals & 30 people piling out of a VW Bug. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on the study for details.

1 comment:

ADSchill said...

What the!?

No, I don't like clowns either. I would rather a stand-up comedian come in to entertain me as well. And what a weird study! Did someone actually get funding for this?