Wednesday, November 12, 2008

When I grow up...

I'm just counting the hours, nay, the seconds, until our vacation in Maine. I still fantasize about getting a new job but I am lucky enough to live in the state with the highest unemployment rate in the country, RI. The more I think about it the more I realize I need to go back to school if I have any chance of doing something professionally that will give me a decent paycheck. So I sent in my application for a second Bachelor's degree & now just need to get official transcripts from my graduate school.

Even if they let me into the college along with all my student loan debt, I have to apply separately to the nursing school after a semester of at least a 3.0 (never mind I graduated with a 3.6 the first time around) & even then there may not be space for me right away. But I'd rather wait & see than not try at all & guarantee myself misery @ my current job. And once I'm in I'm done in 1 1/2 to 2 years with a guarantee of doubling what I make now.

I found out last week there's another employee in my agency who has applied to a similar program for a second Bachelor's degree @ another school. I found this out from a student nurse, actually. It's funny, because at my job we have student nurses come in every week as part of their practicum & I'd say easily half of them are on their second degrees. One of them even had an MA & went back in her 40s. So I guess I'm not all that unique or weird, which is a nice feeling to have.

No comments: