Sunday, March 20, 2011

Another new book on infertility

There seems to have been a rash of books & articles on infertility from a man's point of view recently, which is great, because I know my hubby often feels he has no clue about what I'm going through even though it seems like some days all we talk about is our struggle to have a child.

A friend of mine sent me a link to this Today Show segment on infertility with the author of a new book, What He Can Expect When She's Not Expecting.

Given it was a short segment they didn't get into great detail on anything really but there were 2 things that made me roll my eyes:

1. The author's wife had one of those magical surprise pregnancies after 7 years of infertility & having to use a gestational carrier to have her twin daughters. While it's awesome for her to have finally experienced pregnancy & childbirth on her own, the little quip from the host about it being a "common occurance" made me want to throw my laptop across the room. Does it happen for some? Yes. But not for the vast majority of infertiles. It reminds me of the "Just adopt & you'll get pregnant" advice all of us infertiles have heard at least once in our journey. Like adoption is so easy to go through financially, emotionally, etc. The actual stat of that happening is about 4%; not good odds in my book.

2. I totally disagree with the author than "women need babies". While I fall into the "I need a baby" crowd, there are some women who don't feel the need to have children. And that's fine; it's their life. Motherhood is a vocation & not everyone gets "the call".

2 comments:

B said...

I can understand the saying about a woman's need for procreating, because that is exactly how I feel. I have this overwhelming urge and need to create and nurture new life. But I don't agree that it applies to all women as many don't have that primal urge.

Suffice to say, I wouldn't buy the book just because it is written by the son of a famous guy, or that it was written by a man for men to read.

I was probably more annoyed that the host said having a surprise pregnancy after infertility is a "somewhat common occurrence".

Kristin (kekis) said...

The title definitely caught my eye and made me think about what a good book that might be. Your quick review swayed me the other way, and I thank you.