Monday, April 25, 2011

It's NIAW again!



April 24 - 30th is NIAW (National Infertility Awareness Week), which is a week devoted to busting the many myths and misconceptions (ha! misconceptions...infertility...very punny!) out there about infertility. As I did last year, I have been using my Facebook page to bust a new myth every day. I know not everyone dealing infertility is as "out" as I am, which is a big reason why I've made it my personal mission to help educate the fertile masses about our struggles to have children.

This year, I am taking part in Resolve's NIAW challenge of busting a fertility myth in my blog. Granted, this blog is 99 44/100% infertility to begin with, but that's ok; it just gives me another excuse to rant & rave. :)

Myth: Maybe God just doesn't want you to have children.

Busted: This is perhaps the most hurtful thing one can say to someone dealing with infertility. My first thought is usually to slap the shit out of the person who says such a thing. My second idea is usually to rant & rave on about why God would give a homeless, drug addicted prostitute children but think that I as an educated, employed person in a stable relationship would be denied by the same God.

This implies that we are, in some ways, subhuman; that God has judged us to be such horrible people that we are not worthy of giving the gift of life. But the fact is a couple who are infertile and going through treatments would give ANYTHING to have a child; God (or whatever higher power you believe in) has put parenthood in our hearts. As I've said before, being called to motherhood is like being called to the priesthood; not everyone gets the call but if you do, you know it.

I wonder if a person who would say such a thing thinks that someone with a diagnosis of cancer (for example) shouldn't undergo chemo because it goes against the will of God? I doubt it. And yes, I'm aware that infertility isn't generally fatal, but it sucks nonetheless.

I just don't buy the whole "divine sterilization" theory. Perhaps infertility is my cross to bear? Maybe God gave me the challenge of PCOS to inspire this blog in the hopes of educating some people on what we infertiles go through in the hopes of becoming parents? I don't think I'll ever truly understand "why me?", but I'm ok with that. What I do understand, however, is that God is not an asshole & someday, come hell or high water, I will have a child of my own.

For more information on NIAW & infertility, click here.

No comments: