Thursday, June 16, 2011

Group therapy



I went to my 1st infertility group session on Tuesday night after my 1-on-1 session. So, Tuesday is now known as "infertile day" around these parts, though the reality is I'm infertile all day, every day. Plus let's not forget I work full time doing psych research.

The group was recommended to me by my 1-on-1 therapist. This particular doctor has done groups like this for over a decade & did her post-doc @ Dr. Alice Domar's Center for Mind/Body Health. She does groups on a rolling basis with each lasting about 10 sessions over 20 weeks.

It's a very diverse group all around of about a dozen women. We in age from late 20s to early 40s. Some of us have male factor, others female; others still are unexplained. Some are just beginning treatment while others have failed multiple IVFs. Some of us are in the middle of a cycle (me) while others are trying to decide if they are ever going to cycle again. Some have had multiple miscarriages while others have never been pregnant.

It's at times like this when I'm grateful to live in a part of the country with access to so many doctors & other medical professionals that give me the opportunity to particiapte in something like this. While I do enjoy going to regional infertility get-togethers once or twice a year with ladies I know from a message board, having more regular "in-the-flesh" contact with my fellow infertiles will be awesome. Obviously I won't be going into specifics about people in the group but if a topic comes up or I learn something I think may be useful to others I will certainly post about it here.

No comments: